Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cambodia

The temple at Ta Prom, Cambodia
Just for the record, I'm happy to announce that I am alive and well in Cambodia.

I'm now just over two weeks into a month long stay, and my first foray into a third world country has been an exciting, exhilerating, saddening, life-affirming, eye-opening experience.

It will take me a long to time to absorb the lessons and process the experiences this amazing country has showered on me since my arrival here. From Phnom Penh, to the amazing temples of Angkor Wat and numerous others around Siem Reap; from the eight hour boat trip across Tonle Sap Lake to Battambang, to the experiences, sights, sounds and smells I am still to encounter, this month long visit will certainly turn out to be one of the highlights of my eight month travels, and I am delighted to have added it to my itinerary.

The resilience, friendliness and hope for the future shown by even the poorest of Cambodians has been one of the greatest joys of this trip. I have much to write once I return to Australia, and literally thousands of photographs and numerous video clips to go through before I can share my observations through this blog.

Right now I am in Battambang, Cambodia's second largest city - after Phnom Penh - where I will stay four or five days, before heading down to Sihanoukville for my final major Cambodian stop. If you have ever considered visiting Cambodia, I urge you to do so as soon as practicable. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Comments, Thoughts and Feedback is encouraged.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...